Wednesday, April 30, 2014

#118/365--Parenting

Sometimes
...as a parent...
you are
...rock star...

but other times
you hit
...rock bottom...
and
you just need
...your own parents...

their wisdom
acceptance
unconditional love
hugs
listening ears
shoulders
experience


...Sometimes...
you think
you are
the best parent
that ever lived
...but...
other times
...you realize...
you will never be
as amazing
and wise
and mature
...as your mom and dad were...

...and just when I think...
"I got this..."
...those kiddos...
throw me something
...I wasn't expecting...

...sometimes...
I handle the
...unknowns...
with
grace
dignity
peace
wisdom

...but other times...
...not so much...

...you might even wonder...
who, exactly, is the adult?

...sometimes...
I wonder, myself.

And sometimes...
...you don't fully appreciate...
the resource
that your parents
...are...
until
they are not around.

My dad and I
were good to sit
in perfect silence
or
we could philosophize
or
psychologize

I knew that
he was a fantastic dad
and
I knew that
he was an even
...fantastic-er...
Papaw

...but I always...
mostly
...had a handle on things...
when my kids were younger.

These teenagers
are
...another monster...

...sometimes...
I wish
Dad
were here

...cherishing my mom...
even more



1 comment: