Sunday, May 10, 2015

#130/365--Joy in the Journey

Not long ago,
a friend
gave me this
...beautiful tile art...
I've always thought it was
...accurate...
finding joy
in the journey

I get it

...Motherhood...
takes time
and
is a process
but
one must
...find joy...
(take out the "J," the "O," and the "Y)
in the
...journey...

There was nothing I ever
wanted more
...than a family...
I adored children
and I wanted several
of my own.

When I became a mother,
my joy was equated to happiness
…I was elated...
So much so, that at times,
I would find myself crying tears
...of that very Joy...
Motherhood, for me, came easily.
I could hold, sing, read, rock, and nurture
...with the best of them...
I was a natural.

Looking back,
this is what I now see as
...the flatlands...
the rolling plains
…so to speak…
in the Journey.

It was easy to
“travel”
through this
...season...
I was confident, calm (more so than not), cool, dependable.

Soon, I began to see
some beautiful, snow-capped mountains
on the horizon.
We began
...the ascent into...

...Adolescence...

With the
...grumpiness of hormones...
...and the drama of junior high…
things began to get a little rocky,
and the flat ground
began to increase in its incline,
...this mountain...
became much steeper
...much sooner...
...than I expected...

Before I realized it,
we were lost.

The higher up on this mountain
the kids and I have traveled,
its beauty has become
...impossible...
to discern

The weather at this altitude is 
colder, windier, stormier

I have struggled to keep hold of my kids. 

The map for
...my motherhood journey... 
has been lost
Suddenly
there is
no path
in front of me.
  
We have reached 
a place called
 “Teenager” and “Young Adult.”  
It’s dark here

Along the way,
they have developed
personalities
and
minds of their own
They are unique,
feeling beings
no longer little people,
but nearly
...adults...

Now,
in this darkness,
they want to test the
boundaries of independence.

We struggle against each other
with me, wanting to hold them tight,
grasping at them in fear,
worried that they
will get too far ahead of me
and
...get hurt or lost...
I haven’t taught them all they should know,
...haven’t prepared them...

It wasn't until I reached this juncture,
that I
...now...
find myself 
beginning to understand
the labor that love really is

Mom,
I didn't know.

I didn't know you felt this way about me.  
I didn't know it was your strong love 
that wanted to teach me how to be independent.
I always imagined it to be your way of
restraining me, keeping me little.

I didn't know how much my words
 ...could hurt you...
I didn't see you as the human being
that you are
...instead...
…you were…
"my mom."
  In my mind, that was somehow different.

I didn't know
how much
you prayed over me

The worries that spilled over
...as tears...
or some other emotion
 ...fears...
that I would have hurts
...that you couldn't fix...

I didn't know the years of
“catching me”
...as I fell..
were not as difficult
as the years when you began to
“release” me
letting me struggle with the hurts myself
Darker still,
the days when you
released me into adulthood
for good.

I didn't understand
the struggle
of letting go.
For me, it was easy.
I was ready
to be independent

...as my kids are now...

Mom,
you are an example
of 
conviction and perseverance
 of
sacrifice and overcoming

God’s light shines through you
as you continue to traverse
the miles in this journey
for and with
your kids and grands

You are
still teaching us
in your wisdom
...you are still an example for us...
You help us to see that it’s okay
...to let go...
 of the perceived notion of control
...and...
you do it with
a kind of grace
...a joy...

Thank you, Mom.

Thank you for
helping me map my way
 into letting go of my own children
so that they may
leave my nest and
soar into their own journeys.

Thank you for allowing God
to use you as proof
that there is a light
at the end of the tunnel
 ...a peak to this mountain...
a place in the
...journey...
where
...the pace...
slows down

As tumultuous as things seem,
there is still joy unspeakable
on this journey

Joy
not as simply
...happiness...
but
as a sense of well-being
contentment
...amidst the storm...
a sense of having
...what I desire most...
watching these kids of mine
...grow...
in their own struggles 
...emerging...
...as independent adults...

All too soon,
we will reach the summit, 
and I will have no choice 
but to let go
and
let them
...become...

And that is where
we will get to see
...more clearly...
that beauty
of the mountaintop
...again...

As you always say
"This, too, shall pass"
...and it always does...
too fast
and soon
I will be at the summit
watching my children soar

...thank you, Mom...
for being
my
example
support
cheerleader
prayer warrior
...Sojourner...
friend
I love you.
Happy Mothers' Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment