Sunday, August 3, 2014

#214/365--Twenty-five

...the number after 24...
but
...before 26...

...two sets of ten and five ones...
two decades plus five singles
...one Andrew Jackson plus one Abraham Lincoln...

...the age I was when...
I was pregnant with
my first child

...how many years it's been...
since I
graduated
...from...
high school

...which means...
it was time
for
...a class reunion...

I drove into
my hometown
on that old
two-lane
...highway...

I haven't been down that road
in at least 15 years
...and...
the closer I got to town
the more emotional
I got
because of all the memories
that started flooding my brain
...and...
I got a little anxious
...because...
I hadn't seen
my old house

...since my parents lived there...
...since Mom sold it...
...since Dad died...
...since it has new owners...

...but...
...there she was...
my old house
...mostly the same...
minus a few trees
plus some color changes
 ...and...
...that's not the mail box I remember...
(the one I crashed into when I turned 16)

...so much has changed...
in that small town
...as things do...
...when so much time has passed...
it was good
to be there
to see it
one more time
...maybe...
so I can let go
or
...hold on...
...and...
Go Yellowjackets!





No comments:

Post a Comment