Monday, July 2, 2012

#184/366--Mothers

We watched the movie, "Brave," today.
In this movie, there is the
theme of conflict/resolution
in the mother/daughter
relationship.

I've been there.  I put my poor mom
through so much during my
teenage angst.

I'd always heard that
there is a difference
between
a mother-son
relationship
and
a mother-daughter
relationship.
And a father-child
relationship
works the same way.

My dad and I
were so very much the same.
He was, and I am
quiet and introspective...
...observers,
taking in everything around us,
making assessments,
feeling people out...
not much of conversationalists,
not much for doing things...
He and I liked to just be still
in each other's presence.
We could do "nothing"
for hours.

My mom is the opposite.
She is a go-getter.
She doesn't stay still for very long.
And she has a conversation
for just about anyone...

Yes, mom and I,
we are opposites.
And we have faced many
disagreements
in our day.

But as the years pass by...
I find that it's ok
that we aren't the same.
I value her opinions.
I trust her
experience.
I believe in her systems.

My mom
loves
my brothers and me.
She gives so much of her time
to us,
to her grandchildren.
She prays for us.
She does things for us,
fixes, cleans, cooks,
runs errands.

Mom likes wine...
...and a good book.
She likes baseball.
She loves the Lord.
She loves her children.

Maybe I'm more like her...
...than I thought...
Happy Birthday, Mom!
You really are
my inspiration...
...and the wind beneath
my wings...





2 comments: