Tuesday, August 27, 2013

#239/365--The Metamorphosis

...discussing...
"The Metamorphosis"
(summer reading)
with my daughter
...tonight...

She is
-- answering essay questions --
for this
"existential novel"

.......

I love to read.
I always have.
When I was younger,
I never understood

allusions
allegories
themes
character traits
motifs
symbols

I didn't want to understand.
I wanted to read for
...pure enjoyment...

but
as I sat,
 talking with my daughter,
helping her understand
this
weird
creepy
sad
awkward
...story...

I began to
realize
how much
I really
...sort of...
do
understand
and
enjoy
delving into
the depths
of a novel.
(This one, in particular)

If you haven't 
ever read
or heard of
"The Metamorphosis"
by
Franz Kafka
it is a story
about a man
who wakes up
as an insect one morning.

At a very base level,
it's theme is
how
random,
-- sometimes insane --
events
happen
when we least expect them to
...and how they...
-- change --
...us...

(parallels, anyone??)

And these events
can either
lead us to
...isolation...
...alienation...
...seclusion...

or

they can
catapult us
into action
independence
growth
maturity
...strength...

I hope
 for strength
...and that...
after all 
...is said and done...
...I don't wake up as...
-- a beetle --

No comments:

Post a Comment