Monday, November 21, 2016

#326/366--Thankful, Day 21

Teacher

I've had
a lot
of
favorite
teachers
over the years

and some
...not so favorite...

There was
Ms. Karen
my
...Kindergarten Teacher...

all I really
remember
from her class
was
the
"Thinking Chair"
and
that
I never
never
wanted
to sit in it

Then
there was
Mrs. Wilson
my
...First Grade Teacher...

I recall
that
I was not
a fan
of hers
because
she
didn't like me
and
didn't like
that
I loved
...reading...

Mrs. Brawner
was my
...Second Grade Teacher...

I remember
from her class
learning
how big
an eagle's nest is
and
cursive handwriting

Mrs. Bradshaw
was my
...Third Grade Teacher...

I loved her.
She read aloud
to us
and
I remember
her voice
was
...enchanting...

We read books like
The Trumpet of the Swan
and
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory


My
...Fourth Grade Teacher...
was
Mrs. McCallum

I remember
that
she didn't like
for us to
bounce our pencils
on our desks
by the
...eraser end...
and
I remember
I had my first
...crush...
that year

Mrs. Kennedy
was
my
...Fifth Grade Teacher...
and
I gave her
a hard time
and
that was the year
I got
a
...paddling...
for
talking during study hall

I also remember
I had an accident
in 5th grade
because
my reading teacher
...Mrs. Cossey...
wouldn't let us use the bathroom

I was mortified

I remember doing a
dress - up
...book report...
that year
on the book
Roller Skates
and
I got to wear
my own
roller skates
to school


Junior High
is a huge blur
6th - 8th
grades
were not kind to me

My hair was
...way way way...
too short
I was
extremely
...self - conscious...
my style was
...eccentric at best...
and
...my awkwardness began...

I got moved to
"H"
(or high)
classes
in 8th grade
but
was already behind
because the group that was in
"H"
had been together for years

I remember
trying out for
the talent show
in 8th grade

I bet you didn't know
that
I can lip sync
Prince's
"The Beautiful Ones"
like
a boss

I think
my favorite teacher
in Junior High
was
Mr. Meyer
...our band director...
because
he accepted
my awkwardness

High School
wasn't much better

I was a
...band nerd...
and
had a pretty
...solid...
group of friends

My Biology Teacher
...Mrs. Snider...
was amazing
and
there was
Coach Hill
and
Mrs. Brawner
and
Mrs. Ahart
and
Ms. Branch
and
Mr. Meyer

My college years
are
even more of
a blur
for
far different reasons
which I do not care
...to discuss...

I do recall
that my
Speech and Debate
...professor...
was
Mr. DeBohr
and
that class
was
absolutely
deBORE

I remember
my student teaching
under
Mrs. Avra
in Kindergarten
at
Sallie Cone Elementary

I remember
my first job
as a teacher
at
Centers for Youth and Families
in
Little Rock, AR
and the
wonderful ladies

Lisa
Mama Jean
Ms. Pat
Laura
Amy
Ginny
Sandra

who
taught me
to be a
real life
real live
teacher

and

I remember
my first
public school job
at
Roquemore Elementary
in Arlington, TX
where
I learned
about
paperwork
and
head lice
504s
and
LREs
and
IEPs
and
ESL


I've been surrounded by
...teachers...
my entire life
most of who
have had
a tremendous
influence
on me
and my
desire to become
an educator
...myself...

but
the
one
teacher
who stands out
above
the rest
is
the one who was there
encouraging me
from the very start

He was there
for my first
word
and
step
and
wonder

He
and his
...co-teacher...

taught me
...life lessons...
molding me
and
shaping me
into
the person
I am today

My dad
...ever a teacher...
professor
psychologist
Papaw

and

My mom
...ever a mom...
sociologist
nurse
Nanna

I love them
so much
my heart squeezes

for
the
...teachers...
they
are/were
I
am
thankful

No comments:

Post a Comment