Thursday, January 8, 2015

#8/365--Writing Assignment #1

Where I'm From

I'm from...
wood-paneled walls
shag carpet
of
reds and oranges
sliding glass doors
...leading to...
a gameroom
with
a pool table
and
Coca - Cola - stained - glass - lights
and
Atari 2600


I'm from...
Old Spice cologne
orange circus peanuts
scratchy whiskers
tickling my cheeks
and
stacks of papers
pecking on a typewriter
moon gets you

bedtime stories
and
"Here's Johnny..."



I'm from...
small-town Arkansas
bowling alley
playing outside
...'til the streetlights come on...
Mom's whistle
brought us home
coasting down that hill
...on our bikes...
no hands

I'm from...
Christmases with family
early presents
...if you finished your dinner...
Yankee relatives
longing to hear
my southern twang
New Years with cousins
long drives back home


I'm from
actions speak louder
...than words...
and
"this too shall pass"
and
working hard
is
...valued...

and
we knew
love grew there


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, Janelle. Brought back many memories of times with your parents, and times with your Dad before he was a parent!

    ReplyDelete